Once again, millions will flock to Cebu, the Queen City of the South, for Sinulog Festival 2013. It is surely one of the biggest Philippine festivals, and I’m happy that I will be in town, flying via ZestAir, to celebrate and experience it all over again with friends. Read more…
|Photo credit: Sidious Sid|
The Sinulog Foundation published the following schedule for the biggest weekend of the month-long festivities, January 18-20, 2013 (Friday to Sunday):
JANUARY 18, 2013 (FRIDAY)
|4:00 AM||Walk with Mary (Fuente Osmeña-Sto. Niño)|
|6:00 AM||LBC Ronda Pilipinas|
|9:00 AM||Solidarity Meeting for Participants (Cebu City Sports Center)|
|6:00 PM||Sinulog Dance Crew (Cebu City Sports Center)|
|7:00 PM||Sinulog Musicfest Finals (Cebu City Sports Center)|
|7:30 PM||Sinulog Festival Queen (Cebu City Sports Center)|
|8:00 PM||Cebu Popular Music Festival (Cebu Coliseum)|
JANUARY 19, 2013 (SATURDAY)
|6:00 AM||Fluvial Procession of the Miraculous Image of Sto. Niño|
|9:00 AM||Reenactment of the Baptism of Queen Juana and Rajah Humabon (Sto. Niño)|
|2:00 PM||Solemn Procession of the Miraculous Image of Sto. Niño|
|7:00 PM||Sinulog Fireworks Competition (SM City Cebu)|
|7:00 PM||Street Party (Fuente Osmeña and Plaza Independencia)|
|8:00 PM||Kasadya Nite Mardi Gras (Ayala Center Cebu)|
JANUARY 20, 2013 (SUNDAY)
|4:00 AM||Mañanita Mass (Basilica del Sto. Niño)|
|6:00 AM||Pontifical Mass (Basilica del Sto. Niño)|
|7:30 AM||Holy Mass (Cebu City Sports Center)|
|9:00 AM||Sinulog Grand Parade Carousel Kick Off|
|7:00 PM||Grand Finale and Grand Fireworks (Cebu City Sports Center)|
|7:30 PM||Street Party Bands (Fuente Osmeña)|
1. Flights to Cebu for Sinulog always have high demand, so planning ahead is key. ZestAir flies four times daily between Manila and Cebu at low fares. Alternatively, they also fly to Tagbilaran and Tacloban (via Ormoc)—airports that are a fast craft ride away from Cebu.
2. While there are plenty of hotels and accommodation choices in Cebu, most, if not all, have special Sinulog rates that can be as much as three times the original. Usually, lower-priced rooms can be found in neighboring cities, Mandaue and Lapu-Lapu.
3. The carousel route of the Sinulog Grand Parade on Sunday will be 5.91 kilometers long. Of course, the roads that the parade will traverse will be closed all day.
4. Because a number of vital roads will be closed as mentioned, prepare for really long walks, and so, wear comfortable footwear.
5. As always, it’s best to wear light clothing to adapt to the heat. But since it is said that there have been sudden downpours in past Sinulog Festivals, be ready with rain protection.
6. Expect heavy, heavy traffic and limited transportation; jeepneys and taxis will be hard to come by. It’s really better to travel early in the morning then late at night.
7. There definitely are medics and other support staff in areas where there is action.
8. Food would never be a problem in the city and the entire island. Lots of gastronomic choices are available to suit every craving and budget.
9. There will definitely be parties for all three Sinulog nights—Friday through Sunday.
10. Posting Sinulog moments on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram would be better and faster with the empowered Globe Mobile Internet in Cebu. Check out surf.globe.com.ph.
Here is the route map for the Sto. Niño Procession on Saturday (click to enlarge):
Here is the carousel route map for the Sinulog Grand Parade on Sunday (click to enlarge):
Are you ready for Sinulog Festival 2013? For more details and the complete schedule, visit the official website of the Sinulog Festival at www.sinulog.ph. Viva Pit Senyor!
ZestAir flies four times daily to Cebu. Celebrate and experience Sinulog Festival by booking affordable fares at www.flyzest.com. Follow them on Facebook and Twitter for the latest promos and updates!